"Self-sufficiency does not mean 'going back' to the acceptance of a lower standard of living. On the contrary, it is the striving for a higher standard of living, for food that is organically grown and good, for the good life in pleasant surroundings... and for the satisfaction that comes from doing difficult and intricate jobs well and successfully." John Seymour ~ Self Sufficiency 2003

Thursday 16 May 2013

More recycling for the garden

I received an e-mail from a friend up north.  It had a bunch of photo's on things one could re-use in the garden, rather than sending to landfill.

I reckon some of them are pretty cool.

Enjoy :)


Old Shoes:


This one in particular I like - RMan is forever buying new trainers - his old ones wear out so quickly with the abuse he subjects them to... :)
Old boot as a bird's nest
 ... as long as the birds don't mind the ingrained odour LOL  (It is even too strong for my washing machine...)
Old boots as pot planters
Plastic bottles:


Cooldrink bottle as garden sprayer - the
wheels are a hoot :)
This one is also cute :)
Cooldrink bottle as a bird feeder


Cooldrink bottle as a cat food dispenser
Glass bottles :

Recycled bottles for a feature in a room

Recycled bottles as wicking beds for
pot plants
Chipped and cracked tea cups & kitchen implements:
Recycling old, chipped tea cups and saucers
(and old aluminium spoons LOL)
Old nasty aluminium soup ladles?

8 comments:

  1. Some of these ideas are great. I especially laughed on the "sprinkler" one--how funny. And I get it would work, too!
    And the bird nest one is very clever. Do birds smell?, they do now -LOL!
    :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue - You disappeared - and I can't comment on your remaining blog...

      Yeah - reckon the birds will have a certain odour LOL

      Delete
  2. The sprinkler on wheels made me laugh! I've used cracked teacups and bowls for indoor plants, and plastic bottles for bird feeders - always have trouble with cutting the plastic and not having sharp edges, though, so I must be doing something wrong. The repurposed boots...hmmm. There are some things that, when they are beyond their original use, I am ready to see the last of, and footwear definitely falls into that category. Have you ever seem toilets used as garden planters? Another "too much" for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Quinn -ottle sprinkler - I've also tried the bbut I didn't have wheels LOL

      Yeah - could do loo gardens, and RMan is battling with my bath herb garden... But, it's staying :)

      Delete
  3. Love the ideas. Thanks Dani.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What wonderful ideas! I have a *thing* for labels in the garden so I love the spoons! Wonder how you'd mark them though? I need to learn how to engrave.

    On a separate note - how do you pronounce Rooibos tea. I had a discussion with a friend and neither of us sure of pronunciation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda - I know one can get a set of metal stamps with which to "engrave" spoons - you place the letter on a spoon and then give it a sharp thwack with a hammer. I saw them on Amazon.

      Pronounciation of Rooibos - Roy-boss

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment - it makes my day and removes the "loneliness' of sitting at my screen blogging supposedly to myself ;) I try and reply as quickly as possible so please forgive me if sometimes my response is delayed.