"Self-sufficiency does not mean 'going back' to the acceptance of a lower standard of living. On the contrary, it is the striving for a higher standard of living, for food that is organically grown and good, for the good life in pleasant surroundings... and for the satisfaction that comes from doing difficult and intricate jobs well and successfully." John Seymour ~ Self Sufficiency 2003

Thursday 8 March 2012

Plant questions

We had to delay our departure to the farm today, so we're off to the farm tomorrow in order for that "all important question" to be put to RMan :)  While I'm gone, I need to find out if anyone can help me with the following questions?


Some of my lemon tree leaves have bumps and ridges.  Is this due to a fungal / aphid infection?  Not that I can see any aphids on the trees - touch wood.
Lemon leaf illness?
Bumps / ridges on the lemon leaves
And, a couple of the conifers which we brought to the farm from our town house, have blackened stems.  Again, is this a mildew / fungal infection?
RMan got busy spraying them with our all-purpose (insect) spray - to see if it would help.  I will only be able to find out if it's working when we arrive tomrrow.
RMan doing the eco-thing LOL
Apparently, according to Teach and Englishman, who visited their smallholding this last weekend, and who took a walk past ours to check if everything was OK, I have loads of tomatoes and spinach waiting to be harvested - guess I'll have to do some solar preserving whilst I am there.  Consol Glass collected the faulty storage containers and swopped them for some 500ml and 1 lt preserving jars.  They have all been cleaned and sterilized and are ready to be filled :)


I wonder if there are any eggplants, mealies (corn) and beans left?  And, what has happened to my pumpkin - has it grown legs and gone walkabout...?


I can't wait to get MKid to help me harvest everything - he's going to love it.


See you next week :)

7 comments:

  1. On your lemon trees could it be gall makers and/or lack of magnesium?

    http://healthyorganic.co.za/treating-bumps-and-blisters-on-lemon-trees/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL Mr H - you're a star :) You even sent me a South African site for reference. I'm sure the Talborne Organics has magnesium, but I'm going to add a couple of handfuls of Epsom Salts anyway. Thanks very much.

      Delete
    2. Mr H - I actually feel quite stupid - obviously the business stress, and home selling / show days stress of the past weeks / months is catching up - I have been at a complete tilt, mentally! Otherwise I could also have Googled lemon tree leaf bumps. But, honestly, I just didn't think about it. Bless you for taking the time :)

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Jane - Thank you - I will - I need this break and work in the garden like oxygen :)

      Delete
  3. I have the same thing happening to my indoor mandarin tree...I give it a citrus tree feed every eight weeks or so but will try Epsom salts on it too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tanya - My lemons have now all been dosed with epsom salts too :)

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment - it makes my day and removes the "loneliness' of sitting at my screen blogging supposedly to myself ;) I try and reply as quickly as possible so please forgive me if sometimes my response is delayed.