"Self-sufficiency does not mean 'going back' to the acceptance of a lower standard of living. On the contrary, it is the striving for a higher standard of living, for food that is organically grown and good, for the good life in pleasant surroundings... and for the satisfaction that comes from doing difficult and intricate jobs well and successfully." John Seymour ~ Self Sufficiency 2003

Saturday 12 July 2014

Clever idea's


Don't ask me how I found the following site, I haven't a clue LOL  Sometimes (especially when it's cold and miserable outside, and I'm parked in front of the Rosie and I have spare browsing bandwidth available) I get on the web, and treasures just leap out at me ;)

But, some of the idea's are so clever / appealing, I just have to share them.

Spring must be round the corner, I'm feeling spring-cleanish...


In the garden
I have to try this - even if I try it with lemon tree cuttings
 In the kitchen :
How to keep salad fresh

I have to say - if you can find really fresh ginger (like from your garden) then
invariably the skin just peels off.  It's only the "old" ginger that becomes a
pain to peel

I have done this for years - and it works :)  No messy stove tops because the
pasta water has boiled over

How to keep a cake fresh using bread.
Clever - because invariably the icing keeps the outside moist, it's only the
cut portion that dries out.

How to slice a whole bunch of cocktail tomatoes in one go

How to stop fish sticking to the barbeque grid



How to easily access your pans and casserole dishes - although I reckon
that I could (and would) still use the space behind the pan handles LOL

Oh yes - time to climb into my linen cupboard and use this idea
 In the garage / tool and garden shed :
Even RMan could use this to keep the garden tools tidy - couldn't he...?

And if he used this for his screwdrivers, he would always be able to find them
(and so would I when I need them...)

Ha!  Love it.  Such a simple way to store the wheelbarrow

No more lost drill bits... :)  (although I would go very cautiously when using the
magnetized drill bits anywhere near computers or cell phones)
If, like me, you could do with a bit of reorganization here and there, why not head on over to their webpage - there are loads of hint, tips and tricks there that I haven't shared :)

24 comments:

  1. Oh gosh, these are wonderful ideas. I especially like the idea of using a potato to root cuttings. Thanks for sharing. Isn't it great how the web allows exchange of ideas? Of course, on the other hand, I end up LUSTING after all kinds of goodies that the budget doesn't permit-LOL!
    Have a great weekend

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue - Yeah - I'm fascinated by thought processes. Whoever thinks up these kinds of things is a real lateral thinker LOL You have a good weekend too :)

      Delete
  2. Organisational tips, I love them. The paper towel and lettuce thing works in the plastic bag you buy it in too. I know, brilliant eh?

    Jean x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. S&P - I try not to buy plastic bags, so am going to try it on my home grown lettuce in a glass dish with a tight fitting lid ;)

      Delete
  3. I can't see how a wooden spoon could stop a pot from boiling over, but if you say it works, I believe you . I will tell my wife about it and maybe she will quit messing up the stove by putting macaroni on to boil then going off and leaving it.

    I use some of those ideas, or very similar ideas, in my shop and tool shed. Whoever put that page of ideas together was a very practical person

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Harry - Very practical - and organised LOL

      I love organisation, it is so time saving and logical. But I met my nemesis in RMan... sigh :)

      Delete
  4. Very good tips Dani...thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good tips. The potato one with the roses though, would the potatoes get in the way when you come to dig it up? Or do they not grow as well?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kev - I have no idea? Perhaps the potatoes are removed once the rose has developed roots?

      Delete
  6. Dani, what a great post. Thank you! Such amazing things on the internet, if one has the time to find them, LOL. I'm definitely putting some of these ideas to good use (after I Pin them).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leigh - Glad to be of service :) Yeah, I've pinned them too.

      Delete
  7. I agree with Leigh, except I'll be posting them to our sustainability group's facebook page instead of pinning them. :) Thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bill - You're welcome :) Now, I'm off to try and find your sustainability facebook page.. :)

      Delete
  8. I've learnt some great tips from your post today. I'm off now over to the website to read some more. Note to self - buy some oranges tomorrow so I can practise peeling them!
    Love from Mum
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mum - I'm so glad you like them too :)

      Delete
    2. Dani, I love posts like this ! I love to discover ways I can do things more neatly or more efficiently. Best wishes,

      Delete
    3. Jane - Me too. I get so excited, too, when I finally hit a site that shows pratical idea's - not "way out there" ones :)

      Delete
  9. What WONDERFUL ideas! I love stuff like that. Although I get frustrated sometimes because I look at them and go, "DUH!!! Why didn't I think of that?" LOL. People can be so ingenious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 1st Man - I do too - love the idea's and get frustrated because my mind doesn't think laterally. I've heard one can train one's mind to do so, but I reckon, after all these years, mine is set on it's course.

      So I love it when I can use other people's brain waves LOL

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment - it makes my day and removes the "loneliness' of sitting at my screen blogging supposedly to myself ;) I try and reply as quickly as possible so please forgive me if sometimes my response is delayed.