"Self-sufficiency does not mean 'going back' to the acceptance of a lower standard of living. On the contrary, it is the striving for a higher standard of living, for food that is organically grown and good, for the good life in pleasant surroundings... and for the satisfaction that comes from doing difficult and intricate jobs well and successfully." John Seymour ~ Self Sufficiency 2003

Wednesday 17 March 2010

Eco-friendly recipes

It's been very frustrating - we haven't been able to get to the farm since January - pressure of work, etc.  So I've had to content myself with trying to do what I can in Cape Town in preparedness for when we next go up - at this stage it looks like it will only probably be for the weekend of 3rd April 2010.  I took the measurements of all the windows (that open) and I purchased some semi-rigid netting which I have used to make insect nets for the windows - we'll install the top section of the netting and hook the bottom to the window frame in order to be able to open / close the windows. 

This netting is not only for the insects, but also I really don't want to share our space with any of the local bats - I'd prefer to build them their own little roost somewhere else on the plot.  (for more on this topic please go to: http://www.batsgauteng.org.za/BatHouses01.htm )  Don't get me wrong - I want the bats around to keep the local insect population in check - a natural insecticide so to speak.  I just don't want them taking up residence in our house!!

Also, judging by the search phrases which have resulted in visitors to my web site (http://www/ecofootprint.co.za) I have been giving some thought to this blog and have decided to make a 'how to make' page (you'll soon find it at the top of this blog next to our Aim and Eco Hints and Tips).  This page will included (amongst other things) recipes for making soap with / without caustic soda, toothpaste, washing "powder", dover stove / hot box / solar cooking recipes, how to make a charcoal water filter, how to make bread without yeast, etc.


My version of a solar cooker - it works!

Let me stress that the information and recipes are mainly what I have found on the Net and where I have the orginal link I will give it - I don't mean to plagiarise anyone else's work.  But the cooking recipes can also be as a result of my own trial and error.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment - it makes my day and removes the "loneliness' of sitting at my screen blogging supposedly to myself ;) I try and reply as quickly as possible so please forgive me if sometimes my response is delayed.